Wednesday, March 12, 2014

~Different ideas of fun

October 2013
 
Our hometeacher was the young mens president and while hometeaching one day, Adam mentioned that he wanted to butcher some of our chickens before it snowed.  Brother Pfost thought it might be fun for the ym to help so they came over one night and Adam showed them how to kill a chicken.  The boys thought it was a great activity and MY little boys liked it too (though they got a little grossed out at times). 

 The set-up...plywood and traffic cones with the top cut off, all held up by sawhorses.
 Turn the chicken upside down in the cone so the head is sticking out of the small, cut-off end, and slit it's throat.  I know.  Gross.
 A new meaning of "drip-dry."

 Simon getting close to the action.

Simon holding a chicken head.  So brave and disgusting!

 Three chickens were slaughtered, gutted, de-feathered and prepared for the freezer.
 At one point during the activity, I heard scratching on my window.  It startled me and I jumped.  I turned to look at the window and a chicken foot was clawing the glass.  So funny!!  I can thank Ethan for that mini heart attack.  (pictured above.  Jett's on his shoulders)
 After all was said and done, the boys ate "S'Mores  I'm not sure how they could eat after that, but they did!
 
****************************
 
The young women have a different idea of fun (nothing to do with chickens at all!!).  We had a 24 hour Book of Mormon Read.  It was my 3rd time participating in one of these.  It's interesting the different dynamics that have been with each group/ward that has done it.  My first group, ate junk food all night, drank soda and laughed.  It was really fun with great leaders but we didn't finish in 24 hours (probably because of all the sugar and bathroom breaks...ironically by about 5-6 am the guest bathroom toilet was clogged...ewwww!) .  It took us 26 hours that time.  My second group, was super excited and did really well at staying awake.  If they fell asleep they had great attitudes when we woke them.  A lot of those yw were/are spiritual giants (in my eyes).  They had a thirst for all things good.  It was evident because the Spirit was very strong during that "read."  We finished at exactly 24 hours.  It was amazing and I cherish those memories!  This last time (my third), I think most of the girls went into it with the "idea" that staying up all night sounded fun.  Some of the girls had a hard time staying positive and not everyone attended.  We had fantastic support from leaders and the ward though.  I'm not sure if these girls know and understand how much they are loved.  I hope someday they realize it.  And thanks to some awesome speed-readers, we finished early.
 I love the ladies I work with!


 
 

No comments: