Tuesday, March 18, 2014

~Arizona Trip November 2013

 
I have tons of pictures but only included my favorites, but there are still lot here!  Prepare for picture overload.  I got to Arizona a few days before I was supposed to go to Wyoming, because I had a few friends that I wanted to see.  In the few days I was there, (not pictured because I forgot, but sad I didn't get photos) I spent the day with Jeremy's family and got to see the girls play in a soccer game.  The next day, I went to breakfast and the temple with Trisha, had lunch with my cousins Jamie, Jennifer, Jana and Echelle, then went shopping with the Crick girls.  (which was totally fun because I grew up with these girls...and since I moved, to stay in touch we do online book club once a month.  It's like no time has passed, except that we all look older and can see the effects of having lots of babies!! lol).  That night I went to dinner with my inlaws and my ex-sister inlaw Becky (I love Becky and sad she's not in the family anymore).  Then dessert with Ashley, another friend.  I ATE ALL DAY.  heehee  It was great, but spending time with awesome people was even better. 
 
After dessert, I got the call that mom, Whit and her kids had made it safely to the Valley.  YAY!!  The best part of my day was giving mom and Whitney a hug.  So happy to see them!
 
Baby Brooklynn still wasn't out of the hospital but was getting out the next day.  It had been such an emotional roller coaster for Holly and Kenny that mom and I thought we should give them a day at home by themselves before we showed up.  Mom had the time off, we had gas in the car so we went to Vegas instead.  :)  We figured we would, sort of, make our way up towards WY and Vegas seemed like a fun place to stay the night.  We watched the amazing fountains and the Bellagio.  Spectacular!
 
 

The Bellagio also had a beautiful flower garden which featured several large pumpkins.  This pumpkin weighed 500 something lbs.  It was huge!
 Vegas is always entertaining, sometimes in not so good ways, but I did take a picture of this sign.  It says, "GET HITCHED IN A HURRY."  I thought it might be useful in a yw lesson to add the worlds view about instant gratification, (among other things.)
 After our night in Vegas, we drove to Salt Lake and there I got to see my good friends, the Earls.
This is my buddy, Andrew.  He's so cute!

I miss Katherine.  Her and Jon were newly weds, the same time Adam and I were.  We knew each other in Single's Ward and then after we were married, lived in the same apartment complex.  Someday, when we are all retired, we will live next door to each other and grow old together.


 Andrew grabbed my camera and was having fun taking pictures of everyone.  Carson didn't want his picture taken so I don't have any of him.
 
In between Salt Lake and Evanston I got pulled over by a police officer for going 5 mph over.  I had a devil of a time explaining that yes, my license is Alaska, I am driving a car with plates from Arizona, I just came from Salt Lake City Utah and I am headed to Evanston Wyoming.  The officer was giving me a hard time so he got to hear the whole story of my trip to see family.  I'm sure he wished he hadn't pulled me over after that!

Finally we made it to Evanston and these cute little faces were so excited to see us.  They know how to make people feel loved.  Lots of hugs!
 
Bentley

Annalee

Brooklynn

 
Mom decided to make scarves for all the granddaughters for Christmas.  She's always doing something to keep herself busy.

Brooklynn's first bath at home.  Sweet baby!
 Holly's such a good mom.



One day while in Evanston we took the older kids on a picnic to the park. We had so much fun playing with Annalee and Bentley.  Grandma is such a good sport.  After playing on the equipment, Annalee and Bentley wanted mom and I to be their robots.  We were to do whatever they said.  It was hilarious. Only mom and I will understand, "Luuucy!"

 
 


I looked out Holly's back window and this deer was camouflaged against the hillside.  Kinda cool.

 
Mom and I also took a morning to go to the Salt Lake Temple.  Live sessions are my favorite!  We went shopping at Deseret Book too.  I miss the conveniences of living in the lower 48. 

 
Conference Center.   

Temple Square is one of my favorite places in the whole world. My first memory of Salt Lake was when my Grandparents took me to conference in the Tabernacle and I saw President Benson. When he walked in, the congregation started singing, "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet."  I will never forget how I felt.  I was young, but the Spirit testified to me that the man I was looking at was a Prophet of God and that he would always help me to choose the right.  I have recalled those feelings so many times over the years and it still strengthens my testimony. 


I had so much fun with Annalee and Bentley.  We made cookies and watched movies, ate popcorn  and did mohawks in bubble baths.  It was great!


Every time Mom has gone to Holly's house she's wondered what's behind the hill.  This trip she decided to hike it.  It was a cold morning too.  In the 30's and she doesn't even have a jacket on.  The ground was pretty uneven and she had crappy shoes on.  It was quite entertaining but concerning as well.  Holly and I were sure mom was going to have another heart attack.  We kept our eyes glued on her the entire time just waiting for her to hit the ground.  
 
She survived!!  I think we laughed the hardest when she was trying to get back over the fence.  Barbed wire can be tricky! 
 
 
Oh and what's behind the hill? Sagebrush for miles and miles.
 
 
The last few days at Holly's we painted Annalee's room yellow with white polka dots, accented with lady bugs.  So cute!

 I didn't get a picture of Holly and I together, but the picture below is how we all felt after painting for two days.  I'm not sure how she was surviving after just having a c-section and Brooklynn being in ICU.  She's a strong woman. 


We had to leave Wyoming on a Friday so mom could make it back to play the organ and piano for stake conference.  The day we left, I cried almost all day until we hit the Utah/Arizona border.  I hate goodbyes.  I loved my time with Holly's family.  I wish my boys would have been with me.  They don't know any of their cousins. :(
 
 
I had to include this picture of mom teaching piano.  Everyday after she gets off work from the school and post office, she teaches piano until 6:30-7:00 pm depending on the day, then all day on Fridays.  Just trying to make ends meet.
 
 
 This is Jaycee, Shane's stepdaughter.  We had fun making and decorating ice cream.
 
Atlas is such a cutie.  This is Whitney's oldest. 
 
The most heartbreaking part of my trip was when I went to visit my only living Grandparents.  My Granny wouldn't open the screen door because she didn't recognize me, even after I had announced myself and asked for Papa.  Finally Papa came to the door and let me in.  It took Granny almost 45 minutes and then she finally said, "I remember when I taught you to drive Old Orange (a beat-up old Ford, stick shift, they used for getting wood)."  I shed another few tears over that one.  My Granny has lived such a great life, but she's old and worn out.  I grew up just a few blocks from these two people.  I spent every summer helping Granny clean and work in the garden.  I know it's not long before they aren't with us anymore.  I have such fond memories of these two.  Stalwart in the gospel.  Tough as old leather.  Worked their fingers to the bone to provide for their children.  Have great posterity to carry on the Slade name.

 
I loved the time I spent with Whit.  She is so cute!  Since we talk every day anyway, it was nice to actually spend time together in person!  We had fun playing with the kids, laughing, crying, cooking...all sorts of fun stuff.  I wish Whit and I lived closer so I could help her with the boys.  Whit's a good mom and loves her boys so much.


Lex is the most adorable baby.  Whit's second cutie.

Whit and Atlas


I got to spend some time with dad.  Since he and mom separated (approx 8 years now) I haven't been to my childhood home very much.  He lives there by himself and mom lives in the house she grew up in.  Dad has done a lot of renovations and the house looks good.  He showed me his room.  I took this picture for Jett, but this license plate is really showing my dad's love for his jet boat.

Dad also has a map on his wall and showed me all his favorite places to visit in Mexico.  He wants to live there on the beach someday. 


 
In dad's house he has little corners for each one of his kids where he displays pictures and things we've sent him.  We call them his shrines.  I took this picture of a picture of  Jeremy and I when we were little.  Its awesome!  I believe my mom made those clothes for us, for Easter.


My youngest brother Derek and his new wife, Kori.  

I loved spending time with all my nieces and nephews.  The night before I flew back to Alaska, we all gathered at Jeremy's for one last get together.
 
The kids wrote letters to Santa so I could hand-deliver them.  They were so excited!
 
Brielle age 8

 
Brynn age 7, Jaycee age 8
 
Kamryn age 3 or 4, Sariah age 4 


J.J. age 2
 
Kaylee age 10 


Shaner
Levi is named after him (Levi Shane).
 
Shane's wife, Jennifer 

Jeremy and Echelle...why is he bald???  haha, brother right under me
 
The morning before I left, Echelle and I went to see Catching Fire, the 9:30 am showing.  It was so fun spending time with her.  Another hard goodbye and I cried all the way through the airport until I got on the plane.
 
I was so fortunate to spend time with all of my siblings in their homes and with their families.  I saw that every family has their struggles but all of them are doing the best they can.  I miss them all so much.  Sometimes I forget how wonderful they are and then I go for a visit and I wonder why I ever moved away from such amazing people.  Adam and the boys did great while I was gone.  I knew they would.  Adam is very self-sufficient and really doesn't rely on me for anything.  He's actually a better parent than I am.  Levi did burn his arm pretty bad on the stove and I sent Jeanette to look at it.


 
  Other than that, I wasn't missed at all.  Maybe next time, I'll stay a little longer ;)



1 comment:

Tamera said...

That sounds like it was such a great trip. It makes me want to pack up and head back to AZ. Not the valley though... too hot :)