Monday, May 7, 2012

~Greater Insight

I got an assignment from the stake to be a guest speaker at girls camp this year.  I taught mini-classes last year, but this year I will be speaking to all the girls as one group, close to 150 people.  I am to speak right before the stake president (PRESSURE!)  Anyway, last year, I taught rotating classes with much smaller numbers.

Since I got the assignment I've been praying about the topic, which is "self-worth and self-esteem."  I've known it to be true other times, but it has been confirmed to me again.  Experiences are given to me, to help give me knowledge and insight on what I've been praying about.

At 34 years old I feel like I should be past the social obstacles of youth, but I found that sometimes life is still hard.  It wasn't until I had the second experience that my eyes were opened and I realized that I was gaining greater insight on what I've been praying about.

Looking back, at the two very recent experiences where I had my self-esteem challenged...where others cut me down and I felt discouraged...there were also others there to lift me up (that's the greater insight).  It took me feeling bad twice to realize there were more to these experiences than the "bad" part.

After the first time, I received love and acceptance from my husband.  He listened, dried my tears and told me he loved me no matter what.  He told me that it doesn't matter how other people view me.  All that matters is that I am happy with myself.

The second time, a simple gesture from another...more mature person (I might add)... helped me to understand that I DO have friends here in Alaska.  Sounds simple-minded, but everyone needs a friend, right?

In both cases, I was reminded that there are people who care and then there are others who don't.  Surrounding myself with genuinely good people who are considerate and caring, is better than spending time and effort on those who only look out for "#1".  Also, I know there is opposition in all things.  But with the bad...there is also good.  Look for the good.

I love that Heavenly Father gives me little reminders of things that I've forgotten.  He knows me.  He loves me and He cares about my well-being as His daughter.  He hears and answers my prayers and blesses me with the things I need...like helping me with my girls camp assignment.

It's pretty cool.


4 comments:

Me and my boys said...

I am so excited that the girls get to be able to able to learn at your feet. I wish I could be there too. You are an amazing person with admirable qualities. You do more than SUPERWOMAN can do and still have a smile on your face...and usually in the FREEZING cold and dark weather. I am surprised at the feelings you feel and I am sorry you have had experiences like that. Keep your chin up and always know how WONDERFUL you are.

Katy said...

Michelle you are truly the most amazing person ever. I admire your testimony and your love for others. You are such a good example to me. You have truly help me through some of the hardest times in my life and I hope you know that you got a friend in me.

Anonymous said...

You are going to do a great job. You know why? Because you are a real person. You don't pretend to be anything other than you and I know that is what I love about you. ;) Have fun!

Tamera said...

Oh Michelle I'm so sorry to hear you had people knocking you down. I think you're great!