Friday, January 21, 2011

~Ice Ice Baby

For the past week it's been pretty cold. In some parts of town it dropped to -45, but here at my house we only got down to -37. When it stays that way for several days...this is what happens to some of our windows... on the inside of our house. (Someday we'll get better windows).

While the ice doesn't help with keeping the place warm, it's quite convenient if you need to chill a beverage. Just grab the pick and start chipping away! No licking though. Your tongue will stick and instant pain will ensue.

Other things we deal with during winter -

  • It takes about 30-45 minutes for my car to warm up. That's after it's been plugged in all night. An hour warming-up is even better. Then the seats aren't frozen stiff.
  • Noah's school recess is canceled at -20. It's quite a sight to see all these little kindergartners running around in their winter gear at 19 below. Just their little eyeballs sticking out.
  • A few weeks ago we had to get our septic thawed. A steamer truck came out and charged $130 an hour to warm up the poo that was frozen inside our pipes. Luckily it only took an hour and a half to thaw. The smell lasted a lot longer though. They had to come inside the house to finish their business (haha!). It was nasty!
  • Cold Weather Church Policy is, if it's -30 or colder there are no activities or meetings. Last Sunday we only had Sacrament Meeting. If it's -40 or colder on Sundays, then only the Sacrament is administered, while we leave our cars running in the parking lot.
  • Coats, hats, scarfs, gloves and boots are an essential part of our wardrobe, October-May. Don't leave home without them!

This list is very small. I could go on forever about the joys of surviving an Alaskan winter, but this is all I will write for today.

7 comments:

whitchasefuentes said...

oh...my....heck. come home

Fawn Harris said...

oh my gosh michelle I am definetly not moving there. Tell Adam he is alone on that one. LOL

Ranee said...

Wow! You are one strong girl! I know I am WAY too much of a wimp for Alaska! I can't believe your windows! That's seriously crazy! So what does Adam do there in Alaska? Pete and I were wondering about that the other day. Is he still doing cement or concrete or whatever that is? :0)

Lucia said...

wow, that's just crazy! keeping posting... I can't beleive arizonians are living there:)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Michelle. I can't imagine that! You are such a rock star for living in that kind of cold. I especially love the septic tank story. Who knew?

;)

Me and my boys said...

Well that is too cold...so come back home. We miss you. I really liked the septic tank story too. EEEWWW grose!!!

sladefamilyaz said...

oh my gosh! i'm so glad i live in arizona!