Thursday, March 18, 2010

~Simon's trip to the ER, New Calling and Arizona

Pellet Stoves do get hot enough to burn your skin. Actually there was quite a chunk missing from Simon's arm last Saturday night. After coming in from the cold, Sim decided that he would get warm by the fire. He backed up to the stove, not realizing how close it was. By that time, his arm was already resting on the stove door. Pain, suffering...and lots of crying. You know how bad burns hurt.

Seeing the amount of skin that was left on the door of the stove and what Sim's arm looked like, I headed to the ER. About half way there he went hysterical, screaming..."I BROKE MY SHINGER! I BROKE MY SHINGER!" I kind of smiled and got his attention. I told him that no he didn't break his finger but that he burned his arm. He stopped crying for a second, looked a little surprised and said, "OH!" Then almost instantly he was screaming, "I BURNED MY ARM!!! I BURNED MY ARM!!!" A little humor amidst the chaos. Poor guy just knew that something hurt really bad.

As you can see from the picture, a bandage, juice box and pretzels made everything all better.

**********
In other news...
I got a new calling. Young Women's President. I have 33 girls. It's been an interesting two weeks trying to get counselors and advisers. Now that the dust has settled, it's time to get to work.

We'll be flying home for a visit in just a few weeks...April 3-20. I'm looking forward to seeing the sun, being warm and wearing no shoes! It will be the first time everyone gets to meet Jett. I'm so excited!

8 comments:

Ranee said...

So glad Simon is okay! That must have been so scary for you! You are such a great mom, cuz I am sure I would have freaked out! :D) Pete and I would love to see you guys when you come! :D) Congratulations on your calling! You will do great! :D)

sladefamilyaz said...

I'm so sorry about Simon's arm. I hope to get to see y'all and meet Jett while y'all are here! Good luck with the new calling.

Anonymous said...

So...what parts of AZ are you getting to? ;) We'd love to see you. Good luck on your new calling! I know you'll be great! ;)

Whitney Lee Slade said...

i love this post so much!!! poor sweet monkey. kiss him for me.

sad i wont be seeing you. BUT a special trip to alasks when i get back sounds a heck of a lot cooler.

love you sis.

Unknown said...

I found ur blog! HOpe ya have fun on ur trip!! enjoy the heat... it will be so nice when u get home! Hopefully!

Suzanne said...

Oh the poor little guy! So smart to take him to the ER. Glad he's doing okay now. Good luck with your new calling! Just in time to start prepping for girls camp! You will do a great job. When will you be in the Valley on your trip?

Emily said...

Haven't checked in in awhile-going to add you to my blog list right this minute so I don't go months without looking again!
Ouch Simon! Things like that are almost as traumatizing for the parents as the injured child. Glad he's OK.
And I heard about the big new calling, is congratulations an appropriate response!? With Shannon and Casy and Wendy among others you can't go wrong!

Laura and Jimmy said...

you're here?? ...or at least in az??? will you be nearby? do i get a chance to see you and meet jett??

and you will be an AMAZING yw president.

and poor sweet little simon. cute story though.